Project: The Courtyard Garden
Location: Mercy College Sligo, Ireland
Design: Peter Donegan Garden Design
The garden is based in the centre of the school, visible via classrooms and corridors on all 4 sides.
The garden features:
1) A covered outdoor classroom based loosely on The Giants Causeway with varied height permanent seating, accessible spacing between and SUDS paving.
2) A 3.49 metre tall, 4 legged Juicy Salif giant squid-esque structure. It’s head is elevated slightly, in between containing an anemometer and full weather station linked to the science classroom;
3) Café Merci sited outside the Home Economics room featuring the schools logo with elevated culinary planting designed to allow students a place to sit and chat in an environment that encourages conversation.
4) Planting of year round interest, colour and scent that encourages biodiversity and nature and stimulates the mind.
5) The courtyard garden is a daydream, backed entirely by equations and made only ever to appear like a daydream, designed for those who will most use and gain from it.