Saturday 10th December, The SodShow teamed up with Gelert and Millets Mary Street to take five people and record the journey as we hiked, trekked and wild camped overnight, without tents, in The Wicklow Mountains.
Why do this for Dublin’s Garden Radio Show The SodShow ?
We have spoke many times on The SodShow about my Hedgerow walks, eating from the wild, native Irish plants and trees, the garden groups outings and [ordinary] camping. We thought it a good idea to somehow and in someway, join them all together.
In this case and of note we went to a [Wicklow] National Park. From a horticultural perspective, it contains many pre mapped nature trails including a flower walk and tree walks. Eight of the Park’s plants are in fact classified as threatened – three are vulnerable and five are rare. We also wandered much of its forestry and slept only with what nature could surround us with. Also we don’t think this has ever been done for radio before and – the landscape is absolutely stunning.
That aside, if the equipment and clothing used will more than suffice overnight in December in Ireland, without tents, in the Wicklow Mountains – it should do you well whilst out for a[ny] walk or work in the great outdoors.
- The five are very experienced in [in short] the great outdoors.
- The audio recorded will be aired as a mini series of sorts for The SodShow.
- All equipment used was supplied by Gelert Ltd and Millets of Mary Street.
- It is not recommended you do this unless you are experienced.
- Wicklow Mountain safety and no trace guidelines were followed at all times and more info can be found at Wicklow National Park Website inc. notes on wild camping.
- Mini series set to air: on radio/ podcast for 4 weeks from Dec 23rd & Jan 6th – 20th. There will be no SodShow December 30th
Our journey timelines are as follows – Saturday 10th December
- 08:30 Meet for debrief and equipment check at Millets Mary Street
- 10:15 Arrive Wicklow Mountains and final checks
- 10:30 Depart from base and begin Wicklow Mountain trek
- 16:35 Establish base camp
- 10:15 Sunday – Leave No Trace final checks and depart Wicklow Mountains
A separate post will explain the kit and equipment that we used. These images should help in visualising the audio as the story is told over the coming weeks.
It is one thing to encourage you to try this or any more simplified variation of, but it is better to encourage you to do it with the correct preparation.
- Episode 1 – The SodShow Wild Camping – December 23rd 2011
- Episode 2 – The SodShow Wild Camping – January 6th 2012
- episode 3 – The finalé – SodShow Wild Camp – Januray 13th 2012
Links of Note:
- more Wicklow Mountain/ wild camping images
- The SodShow
- Details of Equipment and Clothing used