ulster bank… don’t know – do they care?

who am I...?

who am I?

I heard on the radio the European Central Bank rate was cut. All of the Banks are passing it on except Ulster Bank – that is if you are on a variable mortgage. I double doubted myself. Tracker or variable? I could buy some trees… ‘herself’ could get me to put down some skirting boards and hang the doors we don’t have… We’d have a field day and eventually we’d get our home looking like one soon-er….

I emailed my very friendly bank….

First: Is this relevant to landscaping? yes. Relevant to my garden, [they are my personal bank] and also my business bank of 9 years. My mortgages were signed in this branches very office.

Second: If I replied via email to you as my client like this… would ‘you’ be happy with my customer service to you?

From: mailto:info [at] doneganlandscaping [dot] com
Sent: 05 March 2009 16:40
To: (Ulster Bank – Dublin Airport Branch)
Subject: query
Importance: High
A Chara Angela,
Is there any news on Ulster Bank passing on the reduced ECB rate.
Regards
Peter
__________________________________________________
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 8:58 AM
Subject: RE: query
Hi Peter,
Have not been in touch with you lately so hope you are keeping well.
The ECB change will automatically apply to tracker mortgages but no word on the variable yet.
Will let you know if I hear anything.
Regards.
Angela
___________________________________________________
Sent: 06 March 2009 09:10
Subject: Re: query
Thanks Angela
I am on the tracker ?
___________________________________________________________
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 9:10 AM
Subject: RE: query
Peter if you are on a tracker then you automatically get the reduction.
Angela
____________________________________________________
Sent: 06 March 2009 09:19
Subject: Re: query
am I on the tracker?
____________________________________________________
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 9:26 AM
Subject: RE: query
Peter I don’t know and have no way of checking here.
If you look at your mortgage offer.
Angela
____________________________________________________
  1. mj
    mj says:

I’d not to be too bothered that a customer service rep, replying over email, does not have access to my mortgage records. This is necessary compartmentalisation of information. If you need to know your rates, phone the bank.

We consumers whine about this stuff but we also need to take into account that we’d whine more if staff in banks had access to all of our information too.

A Chara MJ

this is the manager [not a rep]- of all my accounts [as pompous as that sounds] mortgage, personal & business. If the biz goes – mortgage goes. If it snows – i don’t get paid.

If I defaulted on my mortgage – who would call?

3. Francis Mahon
    Francis Mahon says:

Hi Peter,

Have to say, I’m a little concerned about this one.

I don’t have the income stream to justify a mortgage, but if I did, I think I would know a little more about it’s terms and conditions, myself, before signing it, and at every step along the way.

In fairness to the woman from Ulster Bank, she is right to say that you should be able to look it up yourself in the documents you have.

If you didn’t know when you signed your mortgage whether is was fixed, variable or tracker, I would have to say that you were poorly advised and not given enough information. This is where I would find fault with Ulster Bank, or whatever financial advisor/mortgage broker you dealt with.

4. Marie
    Marie says:

Interesting post. As your manager this lady should not simply state ‘I don’t know and have no way of checking here’. Her job as manager of the local branch where you signed your mortgage is to find this out for her customer. This is simply lazy and unacceptable customer service. You queried your mortgage and she has washed her hands of helping you.

A Chara Francis,

You are 100% right I should be able to check this myself – and I did. I do know what i signed.

However, as i said quote: ‘I doubled doubted’ and rang for to confirm. As you would with a landscape contractor – ie. are you coming tomorrow ? etc. It it that simple. 0.5% is a lot of anything mortgage related.]

I should be able to call – and get a ‘give me 5 mins and i’ll check that for you…. ? shouldn’t I? Shouldn’t your customers?

6. Thomas
    Thomas says:

I agree with Marie and Peter, as someone who works for a customer service center you’re job is to satisfy the customer not just get rid of him as quickly as possible and that’s the feel i am getting from her responses! if you call or email you’re bank (or any other customer service center) they should either provide the information or try and find out for you, especially if she is you’re personal and professional account manager.

7. 'bigstevie
    'bigstevie says:

What a bunch of d**** if they can give new rate on one why not the other???
    As well as that if they can’t check what which mortgage your on they may as well reads their staff with monkeys and save us money. I myself am with ulster bank and have had 3 letters saying I’ve not paid my visa bill, check ur system a**holes I think I’ll find I did.

@marie
    you’ve said it a little more to the point than I

@fergus
    Fair point mate. My apologies to Ulster Bank if that sounded unfair? post title edited from : ‘ulster bank… don’t know & don’t care’ to – ‘ulster bank… don’t know – do they care?.
    Appreciate that mate 🙂

@thomas
    point very well made. again – it is a case of jerry maguire maybe – one hand won’t tak to the other – or – many hands on approach makes light work.

@bigstevie
    i edited some of the words in your comment with some ‘***’ – you can blame @fergus 😆 but point well made mate. It wasn’t like that before I signed my mortgage I can tell you 🙄

9. donna m
    donna m says:

go down in person with this email printed out. ask to speak to the branch manager. ask point blank for what you want. if you dont get it or get a satisfactory answer as to why not, tell them that you are going to take your business elsewhere. we did that, and we did move our mortgage to a new bank. we got a substantially better deal, 110% improvement in customer service, and 200% improvement in financial planning wth RSP’s and tax issues each year. It has made a HUGE difference over the last three years. If not for that alone, i’d not been able to quit my job this past december and remain unemployed indefinitely.

10. john redmond
    john redmond says:

Frankly Ulster Bank dont give a damn – they are screwing their Irish customers and have been bolshie about passing on the rate cuts along. If you dont like them – switch. Their attitude to passing on the rate cut beggars belief. Remember -this bank is owned by Royal Bnk of Scotland whose management makes Mickey Mouse look smart.

@donnam
    might just be the route to go… funny thing is I was advised against publishing this post… but as I said before would clients of Peter Donegan Landscaping Ltd entertain that as my repsonse…?

@John Redmond
    thanks for stopping by John. Yeah I never really understood why they were always a little hesitant in passing on the rate cuts – considering they were quite quick to seek inclusion with all of the other banks for Irish Government backing. As I said before 0.5% of any mortgage [it’s all relative] is a lot of money… Maybe it is time for a change. Just left the ESB – next up the bank?
    And as I also said if i defaulted on my mortgage who would call me…?? 🙄 Guarantee the information would be on the correct desk then.

go raibh míle maith agaibh – slán agus beannacht