genetic landscape – [int garden fest. ’07]

I was asked some time ago to put my pictures of this garden on the web. Designed by Goncalo Castro Henriques and his team using digital technology the ‘garden was generated in a virtual environment’ and ‘the data transmitted to a machine that produced a hybrid form.’

One should appreciate that the garden was to evolve over a three month period so it is appears very much in its infancy.

1. M Buckley
    M Buckley says:

Many thanks for posting your link to my blog.

The photos here are lovely and show the garden at its best.
    I felt it was short-sighted to judge the festival by the way it looked at the end of August. Nobody could work out of doors for weeks and gardeners found the persistent rain frustrating.

Here’s to a long, dry summer for 2008.

2. peter donegan MI Hort
    peter donegan MI Hort says:

A Chara M Buckley,

the IGF was based on the very successful Chaumont sur Loire and it must be admitted the freedom given to designers in this case was quite unique. However, the maintaining of any garden is a consideration that unfortunately must be accepted pre any design – and again possibly unforrtunately was one that should have been considered here. For 3/4 day shows like bloom/ chelsea etc this is not the case.
    It did [despite design flaws v constraints] however allow people see gardens evolve, something show gardens usually do not need to consider.
    That said [in my previous posts] I did like the show and any creative person willing to not just design but build on the grand stage for all to see must be applauded.

Here’s to a long dry summer [raining only at night time]
    Slán go foill agus arís go raibh míle maith agat

3. aido
    aido says:

Can someone explain to me what the purpose of the timber (MDF?) is for. Is it visual, it looks great but is there some form of venting along the sides?

Looks great all the same 🙂

4. peter donegan MI Hort
    peter donegan MI Hort says:

Aido this ‘may’ answer your query??

To quote :
    ‘In this garden the surface is altered to produce the desired shape. This is accomplished by the use of a software program to design a light (MDF) structure to provide exact charachteristics required. This project is feasible due to the use of digital tools in the fabrication process’

Excerpt taken from IGF/ Genetic Landscape – The Ethos of the Garden.

Any wiser?

5. Gonçalo Henriques
    Gonçalo Henriques says:

Peter Donegan

Thank you for posting the photos of Genetic Landscape and to M Buckley for asking you. For me it was a challenge to continue my research on digital design and fabrication, and an opportunity, as an architect, to learn more about gardens.
    I believe that the staff behind IGF should be praised although all the misfortune they had with the weather last year, and I think we agree on that.

Congratulations for your work – witch i had a look through your site- I found very appealing the idea/realization in ‘No Rubber- Soul’.

Regards, from Porto

6. peter donegan MI Hort
    peter donegan MI Hort says:

A Chara Goncalo,

you’re more than welcome my friend.

The IGF staff should be praised, despite it’s fall, anyone who takes it upon themselves to make an effort to encourage young designers to freeflow their designs deserves applause. You are correct we do agree on that.

many thanks for your compliment regarding ‘no rubber soul’. An amazing feeling to see images in your mind go to sketches to drawing and then into reality. When it is then applauded and appreciated – it is truly an amazing feeling.

slán go fóill – agus na habhair é