Some time ago I spoke with Aaron Scantlebury, Manager of Millets Camping Store, Dublin City. Aaron and I got talking about Irelands best places to go camping.
In short, Aaron and his team compiled and completed an in store survey to find The Top 5 places to camp in Ireland, as chosen by the people who liked camping. The following are their results and findings.
The top 5 places to camp in Ireland:
- Glenmalur Valley along Avonbeg River – Wicklow mountains [most admitted to being semi wild campers]
- Hidden Valley, Rathdrum-Athlone, Westmeath
- Carrowkeel Camping and caravan park. Castlebar-Mayo
- Actons Camping park. Claddaghduff, Clifden-Galway [although there were less votes - of note here is that they had by far the best comments than any of the others]
- Lough Ennell camping site
In relation to this survey customers were asked:
- Is this your first time camping?
- Where have you camped before that you would recommend to others?
The results of questions 1 & 2 above are as follows:
- 42% were either first time campers who were purchasing prior to making a decision on where they were going to camp.
- 23% were festival goers
- 34 % therefore voted on the Top 5 Camping Places Survey
Aaron sent this email with the survey results
attached is the list compiled. It is interesting to note that the vast majority of customers were either camping at a festival or had never been camping before and were trying it for the first time [most of which switched the question back on us to ask us for a recommended campsite!].
It should also be noted that the survey was carried out throughout the month of August which was our peak trading time and when compared to last year, the style, purpose and nature of camping gear sold was vastly different to the same period last year. This is also indicative of the results of our survey.
It was a revealing survey that we will expand on next year. Certainly it does not reflect the “at hand pointers to camping sites” that are available to the public via the internet and government “approved” sources!
Aaron Scantlebury, Manager
61-62 Mary Street
Other questions we asked included:
- What are your recommendations based on?
- Are you upgrading your tent/equipment and if so why?
- What was the main reason for making your purchase with us today?
- Value for money.
- Specification of product
- Service provided.
- Brand loyalty.
Aaron will be live in studio on The SodShow this Friday to discuss this. If you have any queries you can leave a comment here or contact me via