Listen to The Sodcast in MP3 – or – as always you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, or else you can simply subscribe to the blog and listen to them right here. Missed last weeks garden podcast ?
Remember Luke Donegan. No relation. Seriously! He did the Garden Group Weblog Logo ? Luke made this logo for the newly named Sodcast for me today. Luke is 17 years old. He does this in his spare time for the craic. He’s @lukedoneganon twitter. Thanks Luke
Big thanks to Anthony who fixed the wee iTunes podcast link [top right hand corner, just below blog RSS feed and email newsletter. Really great having great friends who are really cool people too. Thanks Anthony.
This week on the blog:
- Fancy doing a one day gardening course
- My weekend in Sound
- Promoting horticulture in Ireland - or not ?
In The Garden:
Organic - What The Fork ?
I got this email in mid week. Maria Rodale is Bonkers. Absolutely bonkers.
I don’t normally get worked up about some of the organic claims made by the organic industry but this one takes the biscuit.
In an interview in the Chicago Tribune this classic was pitched by Maria Rodale, head of the (in)famous Rodale Institute
Question: OK, so a family on a budget walks into a market this week and eyeballs the organic and nonorganic products. Should they pay the extra money for organic?
Answer: It depends whether or not they want their children to be healthy, smart, nonbehaviorally challenged and able to reproduce when they grow up. How much would you pay for therapy and medicine if your child had ADHD or autism or you needed in-vitro fertilization when they became an adult? Apply those dollars to your food budget and you will never have to go through that pain and misery. We are so fixated on price per pound that we are not looking at the bigger picture and good health is priceless
How Well Do You Know Your Weeds? :
I identified it. I was told I was wrong.... I won't prompt you.... Leave a comment below....
This Weeks Oddities:
- Very scary stuff – if you deliver concrete in Norfolk- via Landscapejuice – I’m baffled.
- Indian Minister warns of fruit and veg hormone injections – via evidence matters
- Nine white tailed eagles released in Killarney to boost numbers – via wild ireland
- Raw Milk – lease a farm and hire a lawyer – via organic life
I needed a name for my weekly podcast show:
- how does your garden grow -via mamanpoulet
- the pot cast – via baz kennedy
- the sod cast – via faduda and Tommie Lehane
- The Godcast & culture-topiary – via raptureponies
- On the fence & greener grass – via Conor Pendergrast
- TWIG [this week in gardens] – via Davey McDonald
- The seed pod & The Pod – via Landscapejuice
- Shooting into your ears – via curly dena
- Plodcast – also via Tommie Lehane
- Garden Views – via Neville Hobson
- How do I grow – via Dav Waldron
- Peas in a Podcast, Landscaping Lunacy and Peter’s Proclamation – via Alan Farrell
- and finally Squirrels – via Al Kennedy
Ever Been To:
This is Barley Cove, near Mizen Head in Cork. Home to Nadine O’Regan. Why would anyone want to leave Cork with this as your back garden….. New addition to my must visit, will visit list.
This is Pure Gold:
Sophie’s story about a horse that watches horse racing on tv. He’s called Jacque