St Audoens Park, Dublin

Located on the corner of High Street and Cook Street [just on past Christ Church] St Audoens Park is, I’m glad to say, another of Dublins little gems. According to Dublin City Councils website:

St. Audoen’s Park, although less than 0.5 hectares in size, is quite significant in historical terms.  Located adjacent to St. Audoen’s Church (1300 A.D.), it incorporates the first stone city wall dating from about 1100 A.D.; St. Audoen’s Arch, the last surviving entrance to the old city; and Fagan’s Gate.

The City Wall was restored in 1976 as part of Architectural Heritage Year and the park development of 1982 won a prestigious civic award.  Audoen was a 7th – century Bishop of Rouen (France) and the nearby church named after him is reputedly one of the oldest still used for regular religious services.

As a park, it is extremely relaxing and a great little getaway from the hustle and bustle. The fact that it has so much from a heritage point of view is something that maybe is overlooked a bit too often… But maybe there’s a little of The War Memorial Park versus The Phoenix Park going on here with Christs Church only a stones throw away [?].

That said I like it. Nicely laid out. Clean and tidy. There was even a gardener in trimming the lawn edges on the day I visited. I also like the fact that there’s a Dublin Bike Scheme collection point right outside. I cycled right up from Exchequer Street. The beds were a little empty but I’ll simply put that down to the time of the season… still no leaves on the trees 😉 A note should go also to the stone work cobbles that so often are not in keeping with the surroundings.

Go take a look. Enjoy. Well worth it.

more picture of St Audoens Park

1. D Fenton
    D Fenton says:

as a child St.Audeons park was a little Gem in the heart of a bustling city, many a game of hide and seek was played there, the nooks and crannys were a plenty, it had an almost errie feel of something seeped in history, it was by far mine and my brothers and sisters favourite place to play, tourists came and went and we allowed them to “visit” our castle often..some twenty odd years later I take my own children to see the playground that was hub of many children growing up in st. Audeons/ Cook Street area, I imagined they would love to run and hide in every little corner only to find these nooks were gated by big iron gates, the lush grass dotted with sleeping men wrapped in old stained sleeping bags and to my absolute horror young men and women sat on the old stone wall using drugs as freely as if the were gathering for lunch! a closer look saw the once sacred ground of respect for history and heritage littered with syringes and empty methdone bottles while the “parkkeeper” busied himself tending to weeds of the natural kind. it was a sad day.

A Chara D Fenton,

I have emailed Dublin City Council customerservices[at]dublincity[dot]ie the following:

A Chara,
    I wrote a review of St Audoens Park, Dublin March 21st 2010 on my weblog [ http://blog.doneganlandscaping.com/2010/03/21/st-audoens-park-dublin%5D
    The following comment was posted today by a reader and park visitor: http://blog.doneganlandscaping.com/2010/03/21/st-audoens-park-dublin/#comment-79966
    I was hoping Dublin City Council would like to respond. As a park, I like the park. But to be fair, I am time of day dependent on whether I can disagree with the comment. And at that, I can’t really
    I have noted this email on my weblog and await your response.
    Please find attached my contact details.
    Beir bua
    peter donegan

As a result I have received this automatic email reply:

Go raibh maith agat as ucht teagmháil le hAonad na Seirbhísí Custaiméirí de chuid Comhairle Cathrach Bhaile Átha Cliath. Fuaireamar do ríomhphost agus déanfaimid ár ndícheall freagra a sheoladh chugat taobh istigh de dhá lá oibre.
    Thank you for contacting Dublin City Council’s Customer Services Centre. We have received your email and will endeavour to reply to it within two working days.

As I have said above to Dublin City Council, the park itself is a nice park lets see what Dublin City Council come back with….

beir bua

This email has just arrived time stamped 5.30pm today:

Hello Peter,
    I am emailing you from the Customer Services Centre in Dublin City Council. I have forwarded your email to the Parks Department at the following email address: parks[at]dublincity[dot]ie
    They will respond to your query as soon as possible.
    Regards,
    Martina

Aonad na Seirbhísí Chustaiméirí
    Comhairle Cathrach Bhaile Átha Cliath
    Ríomhphost: customerservices[at]dublincity[ie]ie
    Customer Services Centre
    Dublin City Council
    Email: customerservices[at]dublincity[dot]ie

I replied to email as follows:

thanks martina
    really appreciated 🙂

This [i assume] generated another auto confirmation message from Dublin city Council as follows – timestamp 17:35 :

4. D Fenton
    D Fenton says:

Many thanks Peter, I would love to see this wonderful park given back to the wonderful people of Dublin.

kindest regards

D

This is the response from Sean Redmond Executive Parks Superintendent [3.49pm 24 june 2010]

Dear Peter,
    I have read the comments about St. Audoen’s Park on your weblog. This park is unfortunately one of the most problematic parks in the city centre. Anti-social behaviour and drug abuse has become prevalent in this area now. Our own small staff presence in the Park endeavour to keep the park as clean as possible, indeed, the area is cleaned and checked for needles at least twice every day. Special equipment is used to make sure that needles are collected in a safe manner to protect our own staff and the public. Obviously the staff have other tasks to undertake to keep the grass , flowers and trees in good order, and cannot allocate all of their time to litter-picking etc. Dublin City Council can only do so much when it comes to policing anti-social behaviour, as this is the responsibility of the Garda Síochána. I would suggest that if drug abuse is witnessed in a park or in any place for that matter it should be reported immediately to the Guards for investigation. Public funding to increase staff numbers etc is not available at the moment but The Parks and Landscape Services Division will continue to keep St. Audoen’s to a high a standard as possible with the resources available to us.
    regards,
    Sean Redmond,
    Executive Parks Superintendent | Parks and Landscape Services Division | Culture, Recreation and Amenity Department

For too many reasons, I think it’s best I go and finish this garden I’m working on……….

6. paul redmond
    paul redmond says:

i was born in 1964 and lived in st. audeons house .the forty steps and surrounding walls were our playground at the time the walls and archway were in great decline .we grew up with all the stories of ghosts and banshees and if you had the guts to go up the forthy steps after dark you ran like the wind its only now years later that you realise how lucky you where to grow up with great friends in such a great place as the song goes ;those where the days my friends;

1. […] positive discussion over at St Audoens Park &  blackrock park – what do you think […]