I was on the phone to my good pal Thomas yesterday. Tom was doing some garden chores and wanted advice… he was in B & Q. The conversation turned to the grown your own kits that were on sale being sold there…
They’re how much Tommy?!!
That’s flamin’ mental….
So I’ve taken one example I have done myself. [The last 3 photographs are not from the B& Q kit by the way…. 🙂 ]I called it how to grow [your own] seeds [click here]. It cost me 10 cents…
But let me do a quick break down analysis [versus] what you get for €6.99.
- i’ll assume a jam jar is the same size as a can of coke. 330 ml. Lets call it 500ml [mililitres].
- In a bag of multi-purpose compost there is generally 75 litres [75 l].
- 1,000 ml = 1 litre therefore 75 l = 75,000 ml.
- Divide 75,000 by 500 and that’s 150 jam jars. [you still there…. ]
- At no more than €7.50 a bag of compost [€7.50 divided by 150 jars] thats’s 5 cents for your compost.
Jam Jar or pot
- one jam jar = free
- i’ll use lettuce for this example. B & Q’s lettuce seeds.
- [I went here entered lettuce in the search bar and got this by the way]
- They say there’s 1,000 seeds in a packet and they cost in sterling €2.10. I’ll call it €10.00 just for the sake of easy maths.
- So 5 seeds should cost…. 5 cents.
This means a homemade ‘grow your own’ kit should cost you 10 cents. [takes a quick look at the photographs price tags again….
That’s serious spondula’s…. my question now is what’s the difference between the two ? gardening as I knew it when I was 5 years old was compost-less. It was a handful of muck, sieved and at the back of it all just good craic…. However you grow your bits and bobs – enjoy 🙂