Cedrus Atlantica Glauca Pendula

the weeping ceder - cedrus atlantica glauca pendula

This member of the Pinaceae family was planted quite recently, but it is probably one of my all time favourite trees. For all of the gardens I have created, I have probably only ever planted 5 of these [maximum] in my career. [To put that in context I may have planted close to One million fagus sylvatica or 500k tilia cordata]. Maybe its the scarcity/ availability is what makes it one of the greats?

So what makes the Cedrus Atlantica Glauca great first? Apart from the Cedars being monoecious [the male/ female reproduction parts are basically in seperate flowers]. It can also take up to two years to produce seed [ to differenciate bedding can do it in three months], which is produced in cones that develop over that period before releasing. Possibly the main reason it is a rarity is because the ‘atlantica’ family can grow up to 130′ tall and around 30′ wide.

However it is simply beautiful and if I was to have a tree planted in my name – it might just be this one.

1. M Buckley
    M Buckley says:

A quick “Hello” from Dublin to say how very much I continue
    to enjoy your blog.

Well done on such varied insight into horticulture.

A Chara M Buckley,

why thank you! thats after perking up my day. Sincerely and very much appreciated.

slán go foill

3. Janette Rooney
    Janette Rooney says:

Looking to buy one these weeping trees, but have trouble sourcing one here in Ireland, at a “reasonable” price………… can I ask you, where you purchased yours??? Many thanks!!

A Chara Janette,

plants are generally costed on a ‘the longer it sits on that space in the nursery = the more mature it grows = the more it costs’ kind of a basis. The Ceders are generally slow-ish/er growing and not as eaily propagated [as say a poplar for example] and that also adds to the price.

In that context there really is no reasonable price for them… A kind of a mahogany versus MDF comparison, one may say. With that in mind – cheaper regarding this cedar isn’t always best – and if a weeping cedar is what you want…. [really really want….?!] select the height, shape and style and simply splash the cash.

Expensive? yes. But well worth every single cent. My theory is if it is *too reasonable* and the tree dies…. you may end up owning a reasonably priced dead tree 😉

I am, personally, always prepared to [within reason of course..] pay [slightly] over the odds, but to buy once and buy very well.
    You have now entered the rolls royce department of trees 😉

Go to a good [local/ reputable] garden centre where they can order it in for you. Or you can pop me an email and if I can be of any furher help 🙂

Either or you might keep me posted on how you get on.
    best of luck with it !

5. Christian
    Christian says:

I would like to know where it can be possible to buy seeds from the cedrus atlantica glauca pendula? Could anyone help me please?

Christian
    Québec, Canada

6. Michelle whitney
    Michelle whitney says:

First of all, love your pics! I couldn’t agree more with you, I love this tree! How ever I’m having trouble finding it in my local nurseries, and if I do its way over $100.00s! Any ideas suggestions would be great. Thanks
    Michelle 🙂

Hi Michelle
    the reason I hadn’t answered Christian’s comment is because there is a very large amount of water [and other countries 😉 ] between us.

That said, this is the world wide web and I’m hoping someone nearer you will be better able to answer your question.

Let me know how you go.