Most of my articles are questions that are asked and where it has been asked more than once, assuming it can be of benefit to others I put it here. For any garden enthusiast you might know here are my suggestions that ARE 1000% better than socks and a CD.
If you prefer cooked turkey and a kiss under the mistletoe over a good scrap with the mother in law and some frozen sprouts..? Here’s my thinking cap – put it on this year for God’s sake… and your sake and my sake?!!
- The maximum & minimum thermometer. The left column tells you the lowest temperature, the right the highest. The benefits for those in horticulture are excellent. We don’t always understand why a plant looks a little down or too early this season a bit perky – this is usually part of the answer.
- The chemical store. Not so much to encouarge chemical use but – in every trade there are products that children shouldn’t put up their nose or drink. This also has a sump tray which doesn’t allow chemical spill and a good strong lock. For the gardener it’s usually the top shelf in a coke bottle!! Not a great photo but a super gift for anyone with a knapsack sprayer.
- If he still cuts the hedge with the electric trimmers, the extension lead goes through the kitchen window while you freeze your ass off and he can’t hear you shouting…? Just make sure and get a double socket. On the right is a tap! Like the electric cable, through the window soaking the floor and you can bath the kids after in the puddles in the kitchen. Go on splash out…. [hmmm]
- Compost bins are great because they are modular. You can buy to suit your budget and/ or simply add on as required to suit your lifestyle. Another article is probably required here but composting in the noughties is a definite must for any garden or garden enthusiast.
- For the techie gadget man this is brilliant. A miniature solar panel that allows any contraption with a car adaptor to be recharged…. for free.
- A great gardening book is always a great gift. When the elements are against you but you want to be outside, for a little, take your brandy coffee down to the potting shed and reinvigorate your imagination for the season to come.
- Trees…. Every garden should have at least one. If chosen correctly they are about as maintenance free as you will ever get. Unlike socks you cant lose one of these, they don’t get holes in them and it should last you a lifetime.
- The bird feeder is another easy one, but absolutely brilliant. Don’t forget to buy some seeds to go with… ah yes Grannny look what the kids got you this year something you can actually use.
- And finally….. Picking out womenms clothes was never your forté how about a tidy up, makeover or a new addition to the garden. Pull up the kitchen blinds on Christmas morning and be proud for thinking of something that Mary really wanted.
Beannachtaí na Nollaig agus na hAthbhliana